Thursday, March 31, 2011

My New Best Friend

As someone who doesn’t get home at night until 7 o’clock, I absolutely love walking in the door to the smell of a home-cooked meal.  The last thing on my mind at the end of a long day is what to make for dinner.
That is why I have befriended the crock pot.
I bring you, Chicken and Sausage Cacciatore
1 lb. Italian sausage, cut in 1’’-thick chunks
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1’’ pieces
1 large green bell pepper, cut to preferred size
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced in rings
2 cups tomato sauce
Italian seasonings
Layer cut vegetables in crockpot.

Cover with about 1 cup of tomato sauce.
Top with meat.
[I had originally taken a picture of this...but it was rather fowl--ha--so I'll spare you the raw details]
Cover with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with your favorite Italian seasonings.  I also added some black pepper for good measure.  And there's even a little pink peeking out for your enjoyment.

Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours.  Remove cover during last 30 minutes of cooking, stir, and leave cover off to allow sauce to thicken.
Meanwhile, cook up your favorite pasta—B and I will be having whole wheat rotini.
Serve and enjoy!
...can't wait to see what will be waiting for me when I get home tonight!!

1 comment: